Thursday, November 14, 2013

Winner of MadLib + Something Awesome!

You guys, these MadLibs were SO hysterical! I was rolling on the floor laughing.
But, we'll get to that in a minute. First, I have some AWESOME news!





DEFY was selected for the Winter 2013-2014 Kids' Indie Next List!!!




I am SO unbelievably excited and honored to have my book be chosen for this list! I've seen so many wonderful books make the previous lists, and it still seems slightly surreal that DEFY is now one of them! THANK YOU for loving DEFY and choosing it for your list!!


I also want to take a quick moment to remind you of this Pre-Order M
adness post. If you've already pre-ordered DEFY, make sure you click through to enter to possibly win an awesome THANK YOU gift! And if you're still thinking about it, click through to find out how to pre-order a signed/personalized copy of DEFY from my local bookseller, The King's English! (They're awesome, so I hope you'll help me support them--and you can get a signed/personalized book of your very own, even if I don't live anywhere near you!)

Okay, now, on to the MadLibs!



This was TOUGH you guys. I had to assemble a panel of judges to decide the winner. We laughed so hard at so many. We narrowed it down to the top three, and then, finally, we found our winner....



MadLib scene from DEFY (with some verbs changed for tense):

"Nice job, Alex. Don’t DROOL to the prince. We all know he
couldn’t use a YO-YO if his life depended on it.” Rylan SNORT-LAUGHED at
me with an approving smile when I WINKED over to him and the
other men who’d been watching.

I CARTWHEELED, modulating my tone to keep the sound of my
amusement low and as BLUBBERY as possible. I’d been doing it
for so long, I didn’t even have to think about it anymore. Trying
to sound like a WHISKER was natural to me now. “When have I ever
cared what the prince thinks? The day I start taking advice about
WHIRLING from him will be the day Marcel can finally beat me.”
Rylan SHREDDED. “True. I think Marcel’s going to be feeling
that hit for a few days.”

“Well,” I replied, “it’s always good to give him a reminder of
why I’m going to beat him out for the captainship someday.” I
chucked my UNICORN through the air and Asher TICKLED it at the last second, just before it hit him in the chest.

I mean, how can you beat tickling a unicorn? We died laughing over that. Do you know who won yet? It was ANNE RILEY!! Congrats Anne! Email me your address so I can send you the signed ARC! :-)


Now, anyone curious to know what it really says in the book? Here you go! 

The real version:

   "Nice job, Alex. Don’t listen to the prince. We all know he
couldn’t use a sword if his life depended on it.” Rylan nodded at
me with an approving smile when I walked over to him and the
other men who’d been watching.
   I laughed, modulating my tone to keep the sound of my
amusement low and as unfeminine as possible. I’d been doing it
for so long, I didn’t even have to think about it anymore. Trying
to sound like a boy was natural to me now. “When have I ever
cared what the prince thinks? The day I start taking advice about
fighting from him will be the day Marcel can finally beat me.”
   Rylan laughed. “True. I think Marcel’s going to be feeling
that hit for a few days.”
   “Well,” I replied, “it’s always good to give him a reminder of
why I’m going to beat him out for the captainship someday.” I
chucked my sword through the air and Asher grabbed it at the last
second, just before it hit him in the chest.


Thanks again everyone for participating! 

2 comments:

Anne Riley said...

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! Leave it to Anne to come up with the best randomness EVER. ;) Can't wait to check out your book. It looks fascinating!