Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Olympic Ski Jumping

When people talk about making big decisions, or trying to accomplish a big goal, we tend to say "we're ready to take that big jump" or "leap into the unknown." Don't you feel that way sometimes when you are ready to take the next step in getting published? Or even writing your book?

Yesterday, for Labor Day, we were in Park City and decided to go to the Olympic Park where the Ski Jump took place (and still stands). I've always thought that would be so amazing -- to go flying down this huge hill, and then swoosh! You're airborn, soaring above the snow. Wow, what a rush, right?

Doesn't that look amazing?

You can pay to get trained to do that. Well, not THAT exactly, but you can do the smaller jumps into a pool of water (unheated, so be prepared!) and eventually work your way up to the big jumps they used for the Olympics. (And still use to train athletes from around the world and for national and world competitions.) I was thinking that sounded like a really cool opportunity. Until we got to the top of the mountain and looked down the "real jump" and saw this:

I think I'll stick to "leaping into the unknown" by trying to get published for now. Or maybe I'll try the Bobsled! How was your Labor Day weekend?

10 comments:

Colene Murphy said...

Oh my. I was all for it until that last picture put my heart in my throat. It would be such a thrill but I donno if I could man up for that!
Really cool that you can go see it though. Bet that was neat.

Candyland said...

Aww sweet! Sounds like something my snowboarding hubby would love to do (not me).

Jena said...

Freaky! Wow, that last picture really puts it into perspective!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Aw, what a cool thing to visit! I would have loved to go to the Olympics. But man, that looks so freaky. I can't imagine having that be my career. Although, there are times it feels like that as I try to start a writing career. Great analogy, Sara!

Unknown said...

Love the pictures!!! Beautiful! Olympic Park looks amazing!!! I think I want to try it out!!!

My Labor Day weekend was lazy and uneventful! Some of the best ones!

ali cross said...

Whoa. That view is way intimidating! Yikes! My labor day was quiet and filled with stuff NOT on my to-do list, lol.

Christine Fonseca said...

Love that view! And leaping is the only way, baby!!! BTW, I left something for you in my blog...http://christinefonseca.wordpress.com/

Janiel Miller said...

Eep! I'll write a book. They can jump.

ali cross said...

Hey Sara! I gave you a gift on my blog today! http://alicross.blogspot.com/2010/09/you-like-me-you-really-like-me.html

Patti said...

That makes me sick just looking at that picture. I'm totally scared of heights. Did you do the other rides while you were there.