Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We're almost there...

I have just one set of questions left (after today's). Thank you so much everyone who participated, and I hope you've found this series of Q&A helpful.

Danyelle said... Thanks for your generosity. :)Question: If you have more than one offer of representation, how do you handle telling the other agents that you didn't pick?

After you have carefully made an informed decision on which agent is best for you, the best way to let the other agents know is to send them a professional and kind email letting them know of your decision. Unless you feel like you had a closer relationship throughout the process that would necessitate a phone call. But usually, an email is sufficient.

Theresa Milstein said... Since we often send queries with pages, how do we know when it's the query or the pages or other?

I'm assuming you're asking when should you send pages and when should you just send the query? This is where your research becomes very important. Find the most up to date information on the agent you are querying (through agentquery.com, their websites, etc.). They will tell you what they want. However, if an agent says "query only," I'd usually send the first page with it (pasted in the email) so they could see a small sample of my writing and include a sentence that said, "I am also including a one-page excerpt from ____." (Or something like that.) I had a couple of author friends recommend I do that, and I found it was generally a good thing.

Brooke said... Great contest and thank you for your generosity!My question is what happens if you have more than one project ready to query?

In my opinion and from what I know, I say you pick the one that you think is the best, and you only query that one. (As long as they are the same genre or "age group"--aka, both YA, or both non-ficton, etc. so the same agent could represent both of them.) Once you have an agent interested, then you can tell them about your other project. However, I've had someone else tell me recently that she disagrees and thinks you should let them know in the query that you have another one ready. Everything I ever read or have heard is NOT to do that, but she is a knowledgeable person and says she's had success with it. So you may want to research that one a little bit more.

We're half way through the week, and so far mine has been awesome. I can only hope the trend continues! How about you? Is January 2011 treating you well?

10 comments:

Shari said...

Thanks for your agent advice. As always, it's very useful.

I am enjoying the new year and glad you are, too!

Wannabe Writer said...

Great advice!

My 2011 has been pretty fantastic so far. It helps that I've been working on the things I want to do (i.e., writing) and tabling those other projects (i.e., editing) for later.

DL Hammons said...

More great answers!! And I was especially interested in the last one because I have heard conflicting information about that one as well. I've read articles from several different agents that want to know that the prospective client won't be a one-hit-wonder and has more to offer, and putting that in the query letter is perfectly acceptable. On top of that, what if your book has the potential to become a series? Should you mention that or not?

Colene Murphy said...

Amazing advice! I do love this series!!

Carolyn V. said...

Love the advice and the questions! =D
January is treating me great. Love the new year!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Great advice, Sara! It's kind of you to take your time out to answer all these questions that so many of us have. I've heard mixed responses on that last one, too. It's so hard to know sometimes. My guess is, though, if the query and the premise are good (for that agent), the agent will be flexible.

Hope all is going well with you!

ali cross said...

Those were great questions and fantastic answers, Sara! Thanks!

I'm glad your week is going well. You needed some good stuff going on after all the yuck you've had. January is treating me very well, so far. Busy, but good!

densleyjazzfan said...

Saw the announcement of you posting on threegnomes and I had to check out your blog.

densleybrandis said...

My husband just showed me your blog-I am a new fan. I love your ability to make someone happy in less than 1 min.

Ari2525 said...

Your three gnomes post today was beauttiful