Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday Motivation

NaNoWriMo. (National Novel Writing Month.)

I haven't ever done it before. I'm a pretty fast writer, so I've honestly never felt the need to try and force myself to get a book done in a month. When inspiration hits, I can whip out a book in 4-5 weeks. Not always, but sometimes.

But this time, I decided to bite the bullet and do it. Why? Because I'm in a bit of a slump. I have a new idea, but I'm having a hard time making myself find the time to write. Maybe it's because SHH is traveling so much, so I don't have help with the kids at night so I can write like I used to. And by the time I get them all to bed and could write, I am so worn out emotionally and physically from not getting a break, I can barely find the energy and motivation to get myself ready for bed and try to read a book, let alone write one.

But, my goal is for this to be a career. So I'm treating it like one, and making myself put in the time. Signing up for NaNo was my way of trying to get myself to do it this month. I got off to a good start, but had a crazy weekend and now I'm behind. I'll keep going though, and hopefully I'll at least hit the 50k, if not finish the entire novel.

How about you? Are you doing NaNo? How do you make yourself stay motivated and moving forward when you're overwhelmed and exhausted?

5 comments:

DL Hammons said...

No NaNo for me. I'm like you, I don't need extra motivation to write. BUt I'm cheering you and the others on when I can!! :)

Nicole Zoltack said...

I'm doing nano this year. Instead of aiming for 50K, my goal is 80K. So far so good!

Carolyn V said...

Woohoo! Way to go on the NaNo! You can totally do it! I'm not in this year, but probably next year!

Unknown said...

It's hard taking on all the kid duty. My hubby traveled a lot, still does, so I know how that is. My hat's off to you for taking on Nano, but at the very least you'll have words you wouldn't have had otherwise. I'm doing #nanowake, trying to pump out 2k a day, but I've only made half that today. Oh well, it's still 1k I didn't have yesterday?

What's the latest on UnT?

Janiel Miller said...

I am in awe of your ability to finish a book in a few weeks. Can't even imagine it. So, I think you are a perfect fit for Nano. And you've motivated me to try it sometime. Maybe next year. Maybe on my own. See what happens, right?

As for finding time--maybe you could find a YW in your neighborhood looking for a Personal Progress project who would come tend your kids an hour or two a day. Or sisters who would do a babysitting trade, maybe?

Good luck! I'm interested to hear how it goes for you.