Monday, February 28, 2011

But it's hard!

SonA (my five-year-old) is a really good helper... most of the time. But sometimes he'll start a "job" and about halfway through tell me, "I can't do it anymore." I tell him of course he can and he'll respond, "But it's hard!"

Isn't that the truth? With my son, I cheer him on, tell him he can do it, and that most things that are worthwhile are hard. He has to yet to be unable to finish the chore or project he was working on. That is a life lesson that is worth learning young. For most people, most of the time, anything worth having or doing takes work. And usually, it takes hard work.

My mom had a saying growing up that she repeated to us over and over. "A job worth doing, is worth doing well." I hated that phrase when it applied to cleaning my room, or the bathrooms, or whatever chore she was referring to. I was more of the "a job I have to do is only worth doing as well as necessary to make Mom let me go do what I want" mentality. But guess what? She was right after all dangit, and it's a good thing she didn't give up telling us that, because it is true for a whole lot more than housework.

Writing is hard. Trying to get an agent is hard. Trying to get published is hard. But you have to do your part of the job, do it well, and then stick it out.

"But it's hard," you say? Yeah, I know. Trust me, I really, really know. But if it's something you really want, it's worth it, right? So we all keep working at it, and working at it, and we will all make it where we want to go if we don't give up.

11 comments:

Janet Johnson said...

Man, how many times have I heard that one from my kids. But yeah, your mom was right. :)

Christine Fonseca said...

Whine, whine...it IS hard. And I am doing it anyway. UGHH

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

I think I pretty much live my life by that--mainly because I'm a perfectionist. In fact, growing up, I was such a perfectionist that if I didn't think I could do it well, I wouldn't do it at all. Ahhh! I've gotten better about it. Like I'll go bowling now even though I'm the supreme suckage. But writing? Well, I actually have had to learn when to quit because there's always a way to make it better. But man, such a good motto to live by. Writing is hard, writing well is harder. Publishing? Sometimes it seems impossible. But it's not. People do it all the time.

You're always good for a dose of inspiration, hon. Thanks for that.

Unknown said...

You are absolutely right. It is hard, and time-consuming, and filled with a ton of set-backs that make you wonder why you bother at all. At the end, it is worthwhile. It's got to be or we wouldn't love writing like we do.

Shari said...

It is hard, but we must never ever ever give up. Who said that? Winston Churchill? Great reminder!

ali cross said...

I'm not giving up! Never give up, never surrender! Thanks for the cheer this morning Sara!

Maegan Langer said...

Wow. This is exactly what I was whining to myself yesterday: But it's so hard!! Especially when it seems to be so easy for some people. What's wrong with me, I wondered. And the answer is: there's nothing wrong with me. Everybody's different. Weeping, wailing and gnashing my teeth won't change that. All it does is suck valuable time and energy from what I ought to be doing: writing.

Jennie Bailey said...

What a sweet little story. SonA is right. It IS hard! I actually walked away from a scene earlier today because it was hard! Mid-scene. Too many ways to go. It got hard. I bailed out. I will make myself go back tonight and finish it. On the bright side: the house is spotless and I ran a ton of errands to avoid it. But it's calling to me. My characters want to finish it and get on with the adventure.

Colene Murphy said...

Awe! Too true, sadly. But, happily too. If writing were easy more people would be doing it leaving us less shot, wait...that would make it hard again. Dang it! Ah well... I tell myself that same thing every time I think about it being hard, it will be worth it if I can just do it well. GREAT reminder Sara, thank you!

Carolyn V said...

Aw! He's right. It is hard. =( But it's important to keep going and keeping hanging one. =) Great post Sara.

Regina said...

I so love this post. It reminds us all that we have to work to achieve our goals. I like what your mom taught you and think it is great that you instill that in your children as well. :) I'm inspired all over again.