Monday, May 2, 2011

Recap

Isn't it interesting how you wait for something for so long, and then when it comes, it's over before you know it?

That's how the A.F. Writer's conference was for me. I actually enjoy public speaking (gasp! I know, I'm weird), so the ten minute speech wasn't something I was too worried about. But I was nervous for all the classes I was supposed to teach. Particularly because I was team teaching them with one or two other authors (except for one that I was alone for). I'd never met the other authors before, so I had no idea what to expect. Luckily, they were all lovely, and the classes were really fun to teach. Everyone there was so nice and had some great questions for us to answer. It was fun to meet new people and to get to interact with other authors and aspiring authors.

I guess I learned a good lesson. Most of the time, the things we are nervous about end up being no big deal--and in fact, oftentimes, they end up being a great time. I'm glad I got to participate, and thank everyone who was so kind to me and everyone else involved.

How was your weekend? Can you believe it's May? The weather is forecasted to FINALLY be warmer this week. Hurray!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That's exactly how my daughter felt with her driving test--so much anxiety leading up to it, but the actual test was no big deal. So now we're both free!

Shari said...

What a great experience! Good for you!

Colene Murphy said...

Glad it was an awesome time! Yipes. I need your public speaking gene. But, you're right, the anxiety before is usually always worse than the actual THING. Glad you had a good weekend!!

Jennie Bailey said...

We're going to be in the 90s here - yuck! I'm glad you had fun at the conference. You are so right - most of the time the things that I am nervous about end up being no big deal or actually enjoyable! We're celebrating our four year wedding anniversary tonight so I get a fun day of nails and toes done...won't think about the eyebrow waxing (talk about nervous)...Have a great week!

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

Aw, yay! I'm glad you had a good time :) And can you please teach me to love public speaking? I HATE IT!!!

My weekend was great. I started my new WIP, so I have that gooey lovey feeling. Which I'm going to hold on to because I KNOW when I reach the murky middle, that will all change.

Ruth Josse said...

You did Great! Definitely one of the best speakers. I should have introduced myself, but I chickened out. And these teenagers at my lunch table were cracking me up. :)

Hillary said...

Hey Sara. I was at the writers conference and heard you in the YA novel writing class and the "How I Wooed 300 Blog Followers" class. I had a lot of questions for you. =) Just wanted to let you know I thought you were great and found you to be one of the more informed, high energy speakers there. Thanks!

-Hillary(www.hillaryhunt.com)

Carolyn V said...

Oh, I'm so glad it went well. =) I'm glad you like to public speak. I may have to ask for tips when the time comes. =)

Natascha said...

Good job! Glad you had a great time!

Russo said...

You worded it so perfectly, "Most of the time, the things we are nervous about end up being no big deal--and in fact, oftentimes, they end up being a great time."

Lovely sentiment.