As I was running with my mom and sister last weekend (6 miles, woot woot!), we came upon this beautiful sight. It was a perfect moment--a nice cool breeze, we were all feeling really good, the sun was just coming up... it was lovely. I dare say it was the best run I've ever had to this point.
But not all runs are this wonderful. My sister and I ran on the same path last night and nearly every step was a struggle. She had a blister that was bleeding, I was exhausted, but we pushed through and did our 4 miles. And we were still able to find the joy in the run, even if it was harder than the previous time.
Life is like that - sometimes it's easy to see the beauty and joy in our path, other times it takes a lot more effort. With running, with trying to get published, with being a mom, with all aspects of my life, this is true.
How about you, do you find it easy or hard to find joy in your journey?
It's getting easier for me. Life is so much better that way!
Since about eighth grade, I've tried to look for joy. It isn't always easy, but there's almost always something to be happy about. It's not worth taking any challenge if you can't enjoy the process. :)
Depends on if I have to make dinner that night or not. Ha!
But I see what you're saying. Sometimes you just wish you were at the end of the run already. As if it's something to GET THROUGH, instead of something TO ENJOY.
I'm definitely the person who's usually too focused on The Goal to remember to enjoy the journey, and never has this been a greater struggle for me than in writing my book. Thanks for the reminder :) And good for you on those 4 miles!
Good for you! This is something I'm trying to learn right now--not just with writing and running, but with everything. Never realized I had trouble with it--like I'm always so focused on getting to the end it's impossible to enjoy the process. And the process is where some of the greatest joy is. Thanks for the reminder!
(And I'm impressed with Bethany Elizabeth for picking up on this as an 8th grader. That's cool!)
Six miles? I'm impressed! I think you're right. Sometimes you have to work through the hard times.
I loved the idea of finding joy in the journey. Oh, the pics are beatiful and I especially loved the sentiment of keep moving, even when you are tired, beat up and ready to stop.
And can I say, go you! 6 mile run, thats incredible.
It varies - I would say 70% of the time I get beautiful morning fog and the other 30% I'm pushing through the 4 miles. The important thing is that I show up and I'm present. I can't notice the beauty and enjoy the journey if I don't start on that path in the first place! I still don't know how you do it - an early morning 6 mile run with three kids. I hope I can do that someday!!
Aw, Sara. This is beautiful (and not just the pictures ~ which really are!). Thanks for sharing it. I really, REALLY needed it. ((hugs))
It depends DRASTICALLY on the day, lol.
Some days are a total disaster, and I laugh the whole way through. Some days nearly everything goes right, and I find myself annoyed, and frustrated. So yeah. All in your mind. But your pictures would definitely help :D Really, really, beautiful
Post a Comment